Elmore Leonard said: I have a character in one of my books tell how she used to write historical romances ''full of rape and adverbs.''

Monday 19 July 2010

3 (more) REASONS I LOVE...

... Meljean Brook's Guardian series


1. They're long

I really feel I get my money's worth with this series. Each book is really dense - but in a good way! It's not often that more is actually more, but it certainly is in this case. There's action and plot and romance on every page and I love every minute of it. Hurrah for 400+ pages of goodness.

2. You have to concentrate

None of that lazy page skimming. If you want to know what's going on, and why, you have to read actively. Otherwise… it's go back 5 pages and start again. It's nice when a book makes you work.

3. Characters

I've said it before, but I really like Brook's characters. How they are all so carefully drawn and unique. No two central romances are the same so every new book is fresh and appealing in its own right. And I think Demon Blood was one of my favourites because Rosalia and Deacon are so screwed up.

(bonus) 4. Covers

The last two covers have been awesome.


Mini plea to the Interweb:

To spare me having to send a girlish, fan-ish email to the author (okay, I'll probably do that anyway), does anyone know who the next two books will be about? I know there are two books and a novella left in the series, and I imagine Michael and Taylor will feature in the final… but what about the remaining two?


Also, also… doesn't it sound like an awfully long time to wait for the end of the series? 2012?!


Also, despite loving the Guardian world and all that urban fantasy, I'm quite excited about the new steampunk series (The Iron Duke) and will add it to the list of books I'm looking forward to in 2010.

3 comments:

Janine Ballard said...

Glad to see you blogging again, Meriam. I couldn't finish the first Guardian book so I haven't read the rest (it seemed like the kind of series where the worldbuilding is complex and it's best to read the books in order, plus I'm anal about that), but I'm getting into Meljean Brook's upcoming Iron Seas series.

*^_^* said...

Fantastic!

web lol said...

kul post