Elmore Leonard said: I have a character in one of my books tell how she used to write historical romances ''full of rape and adverbs.''

Tuesday 7 April 2009

PHEW!

Gab deadline just about met. Okay, almost met.

I need to go somewhere dark and quiet and lie down now.

Why is it so hard to talk about romance as a genre? Sometimes I think it's too big and unwieldy a topic to grapple with. Which is why I so greatly appreciate posts that do. Such as -

The Subgenre Slide

Is Happy For Now Happy Enough?

What is Romance Really All About?

The Romance Insider, the Reader, the Fan, and the Academic Researcher

Generation Gap

French Dressing, from which:

The real conflict in genre fiction, I believe, is the endless argument between the helpless part of us that wants – that has -- to go there once more, and the wisecracking intellectual part of us that can’t quite believe we’ve been suckered, again and forever seduced by the worn old props and operetta costumes.



Cute ferret for Tumperkin's benefit.

1 comment:

Joanna Chambers said...

My stated wish for a humorous cat was a leeetle sarcastic but I appreciate the ferret a goodly amount.

I miss The Spiced Tea Party. There were some good posts on there.

I must go and mull a post about Judith Ivory and Objects.